Driving in Brazil can be a challenge for many, and at times is not for the faint-hearted.
There are many companies that can provide pricing online and allow booking over the internet, and smaller companies that are often cheaper but may not have online cooking. The major airport all offer several choices and help desks. The following companies operate in Brazil:
Major Car Rental Companies
Brazil Website (english)
Brazil Website (english)
Tips for Rental
- Aside from knowing how long your trip is going to be, you might want to at least have a rough plan for where you take the car rental. Calculate the driving and sightseeing time so that you have the car for as long as you would actually need it. Once you"ve determined this, you are ready to start planning where and how you are going to find the best rental cars in Brazil.
- Obtain or make sure your current drivers license will be valid during the period you will be driving any car rentals. You may want to obtain an international drivers license as well if you plan on booking car rentals, it is valid in all the member countries of the United Nations. If you unsure whether or not the country you are visiting is a United Nations be sure you do a little research before your trip.
- If you drive, be careful: a flashing left signal means that the car ahead is warning you not to pass, for some reason. If the car ahead of you wants to show you that it is safe to pass it will flash the right signal. This arrangement seems to be the opposite of the rest of the world, but the idea behind this is really simple. The right signal is the same signal to indicate that you're going to stop on the side of the road, so it means you're going to slow down. On the other hand the left signal is the same signal to indicate you're going to pass through the car upfront, meaning you're going to speed up.
- Flashing headlights from the incoming cars means caution on the road ahead. Most of the time, it indicates that there are animals, cops or speed radar ahead.
- Keep the doors locked when driving, especially in the larger cities, as robberies at stop signs and red lights is not unheard of in certain areas. You'll make it much easier for the robber if he can simply open up the door and sit down.
- .Contact a travel agent at least a month prior to the date you need the car rental. You need to tell them where you are planning to take the rent car, along with the dates you would like to have the auto rental. It"s also easy and simple to look on the Internet, where you can easily compare rates or book reservations.
- Mainly you get to select the vehicle class, size and dates for your automobile rental. Also, this is where you determine what locations you are planning to drop off the auto rental. If this location is different than where you are picking it up, there is going to be a fee, depending on the country.
- Pay for your deposit if it is required.
- Brush up on traffic signs and driving laws for the country you plan on visiting.
- The ease with which you can rent a car in a country can vary based on regulations, rates availability and driving conditions. You generally do not have the flexibility to travel in between countries in rental cars, especially in South America. Generally, however, if you have a valid license, a passport, a major credit card, and you are over 25, you are able to book rental cars in Brazil. Another factor to consider is the driving hazards. In undeveloped and third world countries traffic laws are not followed or enforced regularly. Drivers are very aggressive. To some degree you will have to adjust your driving style, but not to such an extent that you end up in a traffic accident. That will be a major headache to deal with in a car rental from another country.
- These are the main steps to keep in mind. These other smaller aspects of an automobile rental; but are also important factors to consider.
Insurance for rental cars
If you pay for the car rental with a credit card, it may also cover insurance, but it will only be valid for 30 days. If you have auto insurance of your own, it will not be valid for the car you are renting.
Returning rental cars in Brazil
You car is going to be inspected carefully when you return it, so make sure you look over your car rentals yourself before you leave and report any signs of damage to the company.